Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Take a moment to tell us why you collect broken banknotes and obsolete currency.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 am 
Site Admin

For me currency represents the convergence of several things. First, the art imprinted on most banknotes is essentially a snapshot of the things that were important to the society at that time... images of virtue, prosperity, power, and grace. In essence, the notes become a window into the minds of the people that created them.

They also tie back to a specific place and time in a tangible way. For example, I was born in Knoxville, TN and spent all my young life there. The whole time I lived there I took the place for granted, and never knew or cared much about the history of my town and state. As I have become older and arguably wiser, I find myself fascinated with the history of the places I have lived, chief among those Knoxville and Tennessee. Obsolete currency of Tennessee gives me a reason to expand my knowledge of the place of my roots.

And in a more esoteric way, obsolete currency reminds me of the transience of value, which gives me a way to focus on what is really of value in my life.

- Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 am 

"Variety", "Value", "History" and "Art" are all words that come to mind.

I also agree 100% with Greg's comments about history. The vignettes on these give a more accurate and fuller picture of life 150 years ago than history books, at least for me. I have also learned far more about the local history of the Hudson Valley where I live than I ever learned in school. These notes should be used as teaching aids for children to relate the subject more directly to local history and 19th century everyday life.