Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Uncut sheets
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:04 am 
Site Admin

I saw this on eBay today and observed the following claim:

Quote:
If you seriously want to own an uncut sheet or two, I strongly suggest that you try to acquire one soon. UnCut Sheets have ALWAYS been SCARCE, and the small inventories of these Wonderful Historical items are nearly gone! Collectors are snapping them up fast, and many are being cut apart to sell the individual notes. Dont wait too long, or you will NOT find one available, especially the Pretty sheets like this one!

Now of course I know that eBay sellers love exaggerating. In this case, however, I believe there's some validity to the point. In other areas of collectibles, if the parts are worth more than the whole, you can pretty much count on the whole being broken into parts. Economics drives destruction of collectibles.

So do uncut sheets bear a premium over the sum of the prices of the notes?

Attachments:
UncutNJ.jpg
UncutNJ.jpg [ 121.72 KiB | Viewed 1735 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:16 am 

Generally, the individual notes are worth more than the sheets, so the cutting of sheets will continue for a while. If more demand develops for the sheets, perhaps they will start bringing a premium as multiples or sheets of stamps do, but I don't see this happening soon.

Sheets often have duplicates that collectors don't want or need. Also they are harder to store safely. I like them better than singles as they show how the notes were originally produced.

Profile Send private message